Share |

A blog dedicated to promoting the healing power of essential oils and aromatherapy

Discover essential oil profiles, aromatherapy practice, essential oil safety, aromatherapy training,essential oil uses, aromatherapy talk and many more aromatherapy notes - all from a unique UK/USA perspective....

Monday, September 20, 2010

Aromatherapy or Aromatherapie?

The modern day concept of aromatherapy is accredited to Rene-Maurice Gattefosse (1881 - 1950), a French chemist, who famously plunged his burned hand into a vat of lavender, instead of water, and found that he did not suffer the scarring and burns he feared.  This new practice of the use of essential oils was therefore named "aromatherapie," the French word for aromatherapy.

When I moved to Sedona, I put a bit of thought into the name for my new aromatherapy practice.  Describing what you do and where you do it is always sound marketing advice for a business.  However, in tribute to the modern day birth of aromatherapy, I amended my business name to reflect its French origin, so rather than be "Sedona Aromatherapy" I became "Sedona Aromatherapie" (although technically, in the French language, "aromatherapie" would precede the location).

Unfortunately, most people simply do not "get" why my business name is "Sedona Aromatherapie" and not "Sedona Aromatherapy."  The common comment is that I've mis-spelled the word (subsequent explanation that it is actually the French spelling is lost on most people) and the majority of my mail is addressed to "Sedona Aromatherapy."

So, I've become resigned to the fact that I am known by both "Sedona Aromatherapie" and "Sedona Aromatherapy" (and use both names as such).  Apparently, cultural practice and aromatherapy knowledge does not always translate - literally! :)

If you want to read the original French version of  Gattefosse's "Aromatherapie", it is now translated into English and available at Amazon as Gattefosse's Aromatherapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment